Tuesday, May 27, 2008


I took these pics when I moved to Austin in '03. When I found them today it gave me a chuckle. I watched Clueless this weekend, and the scene where they accidentally get on the freeway and all start screaming in panic reminds me of this.....I was always SO scared to get out and drive when I first moved there. Inevitably, I would always either get lost, end up on one of the freeways and be unable to exit due to our horrible traffic, or some other eqully disasterous weiner shrinker would occur. My first night in Austin, just such a thing happened. My mother and I were trying to get back to my apartment from the airport. Somehow, we ended up on the East side.....if you know Austin, then I don't have to tell you about the East side! I pulled in to a convenience store that looked like it was going to erupt into a war between the Bloods and the Crips at any moment. Anyway, I locked my mother safely in the car and went to get directions. The guys I asked were very friendly and nonthreatening......we made our way back home 30-45 minutes later.....Austin is really the friendliest city I've ever been in....even in da HOOD!





No comments: