Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Tornado Season!



It's tornado season again here in eastern New Mexico! Thank God I don't live in a trailor park. Last night, we had a pretty bad storm all around us, but it never really hit in town. I stayed over at my mother's apartment with her until the danger had passed. Roswell had baseball sized hail. There was a tornado or two that touched down somewhere in this county, but it never got close to Portales. Counties in NM are so large, and there's so much unpopulated space, that rarely is there any damage, except of course what happened in Clovis last year. That was the first time a tornado actually struck a town in this area in my ifetime. I think they're exciting! When I was little, I can remember one particulat time when we were all watching 3 twisters form and unform. They were pretty high up, so there was no danger in them, but they were beautiful and so fascinating to wacth....little tails curling up and down. In 2004 in Austin, I saw the same thing. Tornados in Central Texas are pretty rare. Oops! I just jinxed us! We're in a tornado watch intil 9:00 tonight. It's warm and sunny today, there is some cloud cover, but the sky looks good. They comeup pretty fast, however.

No comments: