Monday, April 28, 2008

Katrina

I've taken a 10 day assignment working at a relief center for Katrina survivers out on the East side. It's a contract with the City of Austin, The Red Cross, and FEMA. There are crack dealers and whores all around out there. The money's great for this job, and it's satisfying to be able to help them. You can really see our efforts making a difference in their lives. We nurses and working with pharmacies to make sure the people are able to get their medications. They're so greatul for what we're doing for them. The Red Cross is doing great work. If ever I donated to a charity I'd donate to them. I've seen firsthand the good they do. I 've worked there 2 days now and have 8 left. It's not the most fun job ever, but it's a good experience. It humbles me. I'm so thankful for this great opportunity. I am so very blessed. The stories these poor people tell are unbelievable. One ICU nurse broke down telling me how they had to abandon several of their patients to die when they were evacuated. I can't even imagine...


Originally posted to my old blog, 9-11-05

No comments: