Monday, April 28, 2008

Rita


Today we closed the Given's Park Red Cross facility at 5:00. Katrina relief in the city of Austin has been closed. Hurricane Rita is going to hit our coast in the next day or so, and so all the time and money is now going to go to help those in our own state. Incredibly, there are centers opening tomorrow for evacuees. All of us nurses were asked to continue working with the Red Cross. I am sick, I think I have pneumonia or something, so I'm taking a couple days off, then jumping back in to work. I've liked the katrina job...the money has been good and consistant, nice hours. It's been fantastic to get a paycheck every day. I am saving for my new laptop! Anyway, Rita will head inland on Saturday, giving us nasty weather. We're really not very far from the coast at all. It'll be my first hurricane! My boss David offered me a temp position in Houston. It would have paid 37.50 an hour. If I were able to travel and was healthy, I'd have done it in a heartbeat. Lila was crazy today....she made a woman scream and cry in anger and frustration. There were several *&%$#@& who went ape-shit today. They knew that today was the last day, and when they weren't getting the handouts they expected/demanded, they were MAD! We had to have the cops intervene. Why can't &$*#@*% behave?


Originally posted to my other blog, 9-21-05

No comments: