Sunday, October 5, 2008

My little girl.....

Muffen, "Our Little Easter Angel" December 24, 1997--September 25, 2007

I don't really know when Muffen was born. We opened the front door one Easter morning and there she was....just waiting to be let in. It was really amazing....she just seemed to be OUR dog from the very first. I remember thinking that she was the reincarnation of our previous dog Precious, a German Shepherd who had had to be put to slep a couple years prior. An odd thing about her name.....the name Muffen kept popping into my head. I asked my sister what she was thinking about names, and she said Muffen! I couldn't believe it! We both had that thought.....which tells me that Muffen WAS truely her name.

Muffen brought so much love and joy into all of our lives over the years. My poor little angel, she's been gone over a year now and I still bawl like a baby. I'm sure all of you who love pets understand......There was just something about this particular little dog though. I've had many a beloved pet, but there was just something so very special and different and meaningful with Muffen. She was SO very smart, loving and affectionate. Her little eyes were so big and expressive. There was/is just something SO special about her. I can't even explain it.

Sometimes when I'm really grieving and missing her, I think of her love, and I get a warmth in my chest and I KNOW that her little spirit is still in this universe somewhere, and that her love for me also lives on.


RAINBOW BRIDGE

Just this side of Heaven is a place called
Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here,
that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of
our special friends so
they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine,
and our friends are
warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been
ill and old are restored
to health and vigor.
Those who were hurt or maimed
are made whole and strong again,
just as we remember them in our dreams
of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content,
except for one small thing;
they each miss someone very special to them,
who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together,
but the day comes when one suddenly
stops and looks into the distance.
Her bright eyes are intent. Her eager body quivers.
Suddenly she begins to run from the group,
flying over the green grass,
her legs carrying her faster and faster.
You have been spotted,
and when you and your special friend finally meet,
you cling together in joyous reunion,
never to be parted again.
The happy kisses rain upon your face;
your hands again caress the sweet,beloved head,
and you look once more into the
trusting eyes of your pet,
so long gone from your life but
never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown


This is Muffen towards the end....this is a picture I took of her the last time I saw her alive. I knew It'd be the last, and it broke my heart. Muffen was poisoned by tainted dog food, and it breaks my heart to see how it ravaged her little body. I wasn't with her when she died......my mother and sister were, and they said that she was able to rally up enough strength to go out and sit on the front porch with them and "listen to the birds," which she loved. She ate a little, which she hadn't done in days, then wanted to go out to the bathroom. She knew it was time I think. When she came back in, she lay down next to my mother, gave three heaving little breaths, and she was gone.

Muffen was a sweet "little lady," and a lady always knows when it's time to leave......

No comments: