Thursday, October 16, 2008

Like Sands Through the Hourglass.......


Soap Operas..........another love to hate 'em, hate to love 'em thing. I'm embarrassed to admit that I watch soap operas, but hey.......I'm gay, so it's OK, right? I've known a couple of straight guys who've had the balls to admit that they also watch them....but not many. However....I KNOW that there are many straight, closeted (as far as soap opera lovin' goes!) men who are faithful daily watchers.

Currently I watch only two....The Young and the Restless, and The Bold and the Beautiful. I grew up watching many more, such as Days of Our Lives, As the World Turns, Guiding Light, and many many more that aren't even on TV anymore. However we, being my mother, sister and I, finally got sickened by DOL due to the sheer ridiculousness of the whole thing. A question for anyone who watches DOL....remember when Marlena became possessed by the Devil?!? For those of you who might think I'm kidding, sadly, I'm not.




We muddled through the whole mess for several more years though, but I can't recall what the final straw was for my mother and sister. I was always working in the day, or sleeping due to a night shift, so I got out of sync with them for a while, but being back home in NM during the winter and summer.......my addiction once again reared its ugly head!

Once again, I can witness the drama of whose baby belongs to whom and the seething drama which that scenario entails! I can see children go away to summer camp at the age of 10 and come back 17 (Noah on Y&R), endless comas, heart attacks, strokes, amnesia, and paralysis. Alcoholism/drug addiction developing in a week's time (Nicky on Y&R).



Long dead characters returning, sometimes played by another actor are always goodies, as well as characters becoming physicians in either in a very short time like Briget on B&B (TWO years at the most ) or Rick, on Guiding Light (never went to med school at all!)and characters undergoing plastic surgery to be played by another character. Did you get all that? I could go on and on. Speaking of plastic surgery, Heather Tylo, who plays Taylor on B&B has become something of a favorite joke of mine around around the house....a monster even. She was a beautiful woman before she had an OUTRAGEOUS amount of collagen injected into her lips, and of course her boobs......they're HUGE!!! But those lips! Oh the HUMANTY!!! I've named her The Platypus........she looks just horrible, heinous even. I heard she was suing some website who included amongst plastic surgery horror stories. BIG, BIG LOL! Witness the nightmare below......






On a final note......I have to reveal this really funny fact. My mother, sister, friends and relatives who watch these shows talk about the characters and events as though they were real! I just read this to my sister, and she laughingly accused...."YOU DO TO!" And well yes...I guess to be fair, I have to admit......one of the first things I said to my sister when I talked to her tonight was......"and did you see Mrs. Chancellor getting drunk yesterday?!?!?!?"


And so...in guilt and humble shame...I eagerly await the Young and the Restless episode when the new, fully grown and resurrected Phillip, who as it turns out was stolen from Jill as a baby by Mrs. Chancellor (baby switch!) and raised in Australia, (the boy that everyone THOUGHT was Phillip died years ago in a drunk driving accident) finally finds out that the FATHER of Chloe's baby, is not him, but his newly met half brother Billy. Only Chloe knows this. Chloe tricked him into marriage, stealing him from Lilly. By the way, Chloe turned out to be Esther, Mrs. Chancellor's maid's daughter, who hadn't been seen, mentioned, or shown on the show since infancy! Chloe convinced everyone that the baby is Phillip's by counting on the DNA test (another old standby!), which would, of course, show the same DNA as his brother Billy, who is, as previously mentioned, the real father. And now...Victor's missing again! Someone please shoot me.....

So are the Days of Our Lives...


No comments: